Have you ever wondered why pokies are so popular among modern gamblers? The main reason for their popularity is an incredible combination of fun, ease and high winning chances. You do not need any special knowledge or skills to start playing pokies — their interface always feels native and evident for most gamblers.
Pokies have their special place in my heart and I’m pretty good at telling a good pokie from a bad one. Here are the criteria I use.
Increase your winning chances
If you are looking for more wins, you should know where to look. Most beginners do not know about their winning chances while playing pokies. However, every trustworthy online casino shows the RTP rate for each of its games. RTP (return-to-player) stands for the percent of funds you will receive back from your bets in the long run.
I recommend playing pokies that have more than 95% RTP to increase your winning chances. I must also warn you from online casinos which do not show their RTP rates — they are often cheating on their players.
Another strategy to increase winning chances is to bet on more paylines. You will need to invest more funds in each bet, but your winning chances grow significantly with each subsequent payline.
One of the perfect examples of high RTP rate pokies is Jackpot Jester from NextGen Gaming at PlayAmo Casino. RTP rate is 99% here. This one of the highest rates which allows you to win with better chances.
Make use of the sweet welcome bonuses
You need to get the most out of the casino from the very beginning. That's why modern gamblers value online casinos fo their generous welcome bonuses. The tough competition between online casinos forces each casino to provide its players with better offers to keep them loyal. Not all the welcome bonuses in Australian online casinos are equally valuable, though. When picking the bonus to claim, make sure to check its terms for the following factors:
- Wagering requirements shouldn’t exceed 40x. Otherwise, it would be hard to cash out the bonus.
- There should be at least several pokies you can use the bonus money and free spins in, and those should be the pokies you like. Shady casinos sometimes add the games that no one wants to play to this list — that’s not what we are looking for.
- The welcome bonus validity time should be reasonable. I don’t ask for a whole month to use the bonus, but at least give me more than 24 hours, please.
If you do not want to spend time reading Terms & Conditions and investigating all the wagering requirements, you can simply pick a game from my list of the best Australian pokies. For example, Mustang Gold from Pragmatic Play at SpartanSlots Casino has one of the sweetest bonuses: 25 wager-free cash spins.
Search for games from a specific provider
Do you have your favourite game developer? I do! I recommend searching for a casino that offers pokies made by the most popular game developers, including Microgaming, Betsoft, Pragmatic Play, and others at the same time.
If you don’t know which pokie provider you like the most yet, you can always use the filter on the right side of this page and play free demo games before betting the real money. It’s a great way to test the water without risking your own cash, and a perfect opportunity for the newbies to understand what they like and what they don’t.
Hunt the jackpot
Get your highest pokies win of all times! There is a common myth about pokies that says you cannot hit the jackpot here. Fortunately, modern online casinos have jackpots for pokies lovers too, and they are called progressive jackpots. The amount of these jackpots can be even more significant than in some roulette or poker games as the final win is composed of all the bets made by players during a specified period of time. The chances of winning are obviously not that high, but the potential result is definitely worth the risk.
For instance, Jack in the Box from Novomatic at Fortune Clock Casino represents the real opportunity to hit the jackpot up to 2,500,000 coins!
Have maximum fun with minimum investments
You don’t need to bet a lot to win. Most wise beginners try to start their gambling experience with minimum bets to test different pokies and try their luck. Modern online casinos gladly present such an opportunity. For example, you can play Starburst from NetEnt at King Billy Casino with minimal bets of 0.01 AUD.
The minimal betting strategy has its pros and cons. The main advantage of making smaller bets is obvious — you spend less money and can play for a longer period of time, especially if your bankroll is limited. Minimal bets are the perfect option for the moments when you don’t want to fully concentrate on the game and think about your betting strategy, you just want to relax and have some fun in your favourite online pokies. The disadvantage of smaller bets is also quite obvious — there are not too many chances to win big when you don’t bet big. You can still expect some profits, but let’s be honest, hitting a jackpot with a $0.01 bet is more a dream than a potential outcome.
Feel the highest adrenaline
Ready for some more risk? Opt for the maximum bets! Maximum bets mean maximum excitement from pokies. Obviously, we receive much more adrenalin when betting 10,000 AUD then when betting 0.01 AUD. Tennis Stars from PlayTech at EU Slots Casino is an excellent choice for those who like to tickle their nerves. You can bet up to 40,000 AUD here!
I strongly recommend playing free demos of different pokies on my website before betting real money, especially in large amounts. While larger bets can potentially increase the chances of winning, betting more than you can afford is a no-win strategy. So play responsibly to enjoy the process and not to be disappointed and broke at the end of your gambling session.
Thest the mobile gameplay
Like to play wherever you are? Opt for mobile pokies. Mobile gambling is developing as swiftly as modern technologies conquer the attention of users. More than half of gamblers already prefer mobile devices to play in online casinos. Thus, online casinos in Australia cannot ignore the trend and develop mobile versions of their websites or even dedicated mobile applications to ensure the seamless user experience of their customers and let them play the best online pokies in Australia on the go.
Not every casino has mastered mobile optimization though, so make sure to check and try the mobile website to see how it works. Remember, mobile pokies are made to bring fun and money, not to annoy you, so there should be no freezes, crashes, and weird user-interface solutions.
Bonanza from BigTimeGaming at Woo is a fantastic example of a perfectly mobile-optimized game. It has got one of the highest ratings among mobile pokies, and it really deserves to be among the best.
Make use of the convenient deposits and withdrawals
Speed of transactions is the key to successful online gambling. Modern online casinos try their best to provide customers with the fastest deposit and withdrawal service.
So, when looking for a pokie machine, don’t forget to check how things are going with payments in the casino of your choice. Are there enough banking options both for deposits and withdrawals? How long and thorough is the verification procedure? Are there any limitations for the use of bonuses when depositing with e-wallets?
Have fun with retro pokies
Sometimes, there is nothing better than a good old fruit machine. Old-fashioned pokies not only provide the nostalgic feeling of the ‘80s or ‘90s but also serve as a beautiful example of classic games beloved by most gamblers. Modern technologies of online casinos in Australia let you dive into the retro atmosphere without losing the quality of graphics.
Black Diamond by Pragmatic Play at Cleopatra casino represents a great example of such living classics. The best combination of nostalgic atmosphere and modern features is at your disposal!
All pokie machines can be divided into two large groups — classic pokies and video pokies. Each group has its own fun base, but what if you are a newbie and have no idea which pokies you like most? Let’s compare classic fruit machines and more advanced video pokies to give you more information.
Atmosphere. It’s hard to say which atmosphere is better — the one of classic or video pokies — but what I can say is that it’s definitely different. While classic pokies will serve you the good vibe of old school saloons with one-armed bandits all round, video pokies can offer you the atmosphere of….literally anything. Depending on your preferences, you can time-travel to Ancient Greece or China, get some chills in a horror-themed game, or have some fun with Irish leprechauns. So it’s just all about what you like better at the moment.
Payline options. As classic pokies usually have 3 reels, you can expect only 1 payline in most cases. As for the video pokies, they can offer you up to a thousand paylines — so in this case, video pokies can be considered more lucrative.
Bonus games. Even though there are some newer fruit machines with bonus games, video pokies tend to have more of them — from free spins rounds to “pick an item”. Some players don’t like to be distracted from spinning the reels, while the others love the wins and freebies those games can bring, so all in all, it’s all about the personal preferences once again.
Jackpot options. The good news for the fans of classic pokies — some of them do have progressive jackpot opportunities, just like the video ones, and the values of those jackpots don’t really differ.
Do you now know which pokies are better? I don’t either. It seems like the only way to understand which game can touch your heart (and a wallet) is to play both kinds either for fun or for real money and see them in action. Luckily, I have selected the best classic and video pokies for Australian players for you to try, so check them out.
Some pokies have gained much more attention from Australian gamblers than others. Here are these games:
- Wolf Gold by Pragmatic Play
- Primal Hunt by Betsoft
- Gold Digger by Softbet
- Sword of Khans by Thunderkick
- Caishen’s Gold by Pragmatic Play
- Fruit Million from B.Gaming
- Buffalo Power from Playson
- 40 Super Hot from EGT
- Elvis Frog from B.Gaming
- Rock Paper Scissors from Playtech
Mobile gambling is a huge trend today. Every decent online casino makes its website optimized for betting on the go, while some casinos even create dedicated mobile apps to download and enjoy mobile gambling with no limitations. And, of course, pokies are the best games to play on your smartphone as they don’t require focus and concentration — you can easily spin the reels on a boring meeting. If you are thinking of going mobile with your bets, here are some tips and tricks to make that experience better.
How to choose a casino for mobile pokies
Make sure to check these factors yourself before opting for a mobile casino, or just pick one out of my list.
How to make a mobile casino deposit
- Log in to your mobile casino account
- Go to the cashier section and pick the convenient deposit option. I recommend choosing payment methods that are convenient to use on mobile such as PayPal or Neteller. Entering your bank card details might not be too convenient.
- Enter the amount you’d like to deposit and confirm the transaction following the instructions on the screen.
Online Pokies Vs Other Casino Games
Once you open any Australian online casino website, you’ll see a whole variety of games: blackjack, poker, live-dealer games, and, of course, pokies. And as a rule, the choice of pokies will be much wider than the choice of other gambling games. But what’s the reason for such popularity? Aren’t card games fun? Don’t live casino games pay money? No, card and table games are all fun and lucrative, but online pokies have several indisputable advantages that make them the most popular online casino games both in Australia and in the rest of the world:
- Pokies are simple to play. You don’t need to know anything to play online pokies. All you do is hit one button and wait for the reels to stop spinning and show how lucky or unlucky you are.
- Pokies are profitable. There is hardly another online gambling game with the RTP up to 99.9%.
- Pokies are diverse. Online gambing industry has created thousands of pokie machines. There are simple fruit machines, super-high-end video pokies, and all, I mean all kinds of plots and topics, from horrors to Ancient Greece and superhero movies.
- Pokies can be played with bonus money. Most online casinos only allow using the bonus money to play pokies, and not some other games. And don’t forget about the free spins as well.
Before You Bet Real Money on Pokies
It is worth knowing the features of a responsible and trustworthy online casino before entrusting your money and free time to one of the gambling websites.
Features of a safe online casino in Australia
If you are choosing an online casino on your own, you need to know at least two main features of a trustworthy gambling website:
- License. Online casinos in Australia can’t get a local license as online gambling is not legal here, so they need to acquire their licenses in international institutions like MGA or Curacao. The presence of such a license means that the casino is safe for your bets. The absence of such a license means that you definitely don’t need to play there.
- eCOGRA certificate. This independent testing agency gives certificates to the online casinos that operate with licensed games only. eCOGRA certificate is your protection against non-licensed and pirated games with unknown or manipulated RTP. Another reputable organisation to certify an online casino is iTech Labs. If you see its logo on the bottom of the casino website, you can be sure the games are proved to be fair. Although the absence of an eCOGRA or similar certificate is not fatal for a casino, I usually prefer websites that have it.
As you can see, there are quite a lot of factors to consider when choosing an online casino in Australia to play pokies. Luckily, you already have my list of all the best websites that have been personally tested by me and proven to be safe enough.
Best online pokies in Australia — who makes them?
Your gambling experience depends not only on the online casino you choose but also on the game you pick. There are a lot of companies that create online pokies. Some of them are really good, some are okay, and some are just “meh”. But we are here not to talk about the bad games, so let’s take a look at the providers of the best online pokies with the exciting gameplay, user-friendly interface, and real wins.
- PlayTech — founded back in 1999, this company has gained the trust of gamblers worldwide and plays one of the critical roles in modern gambling games development. PlayTech pokies are fun to play and always excite me with their bonus features.
- Microgaming — also stands at the origins of the gambling games development. Since 1994 this company has got the reputation of the pokies maker with the most significant jackpot. Microgaming pokies are known for their plots based on worldwide-known movies and TV-series. I must admit, the games are often so graphically detailed that it’s hard to tell them from the real movies.
- IGT — International Game Technology stands out with a worldwide network of offices and more than 12,000 released games. IGT pokies is something I can call the “really good games”. The company makes both classic pokies and video pokies, and never lets the players down with the new releases.
- NetEnt. NetEnt is another industry leader known for state-of-the-art pokies. While the company also makes live casino games, pokies are the signature NetEnt product and it shows: there is hardly a single provider that makes its games so versatile in terms of plot and atmosphere.
How to Win in Pokies
My extensive experience in the gambling industry lets me easily distinguish a winning pokies strategy from a simple superstition of a typical player. I will gladly share this expertise to provide you with more profitable and pleasant pokies gameplay.
Here is what won’t help you win in online pokies in Australian casinos:
- Searching for “hot” machines. Everybody wants to have a simple decision for a complicated task. So, many gamblers believe in a superstition of a “hot” machine. It means they try to win on pokies where someone has already won. The strategy is absolutely useless because each player has an individual probability of winnings.
- Changing machines. Some gamblers try to switch pokies whenever they lose. This simple action is also useless. The better option is to observe the features of each pokies type by playing free demos on my website, before betting real money.
Here are some tricks that DO help you win in online pokies:
- Try to cover more paylines. You will obviously need to bet more because each covered payline increases your bet amount. In return, you will receive much higher chances to win with each covered payline.
- Manage your funds and know your limits. You always need to have a clear understanding of your funds’ limits and stop betting when you go low on deposits.
- Play free demos before betting real money. You can find all the popular online pokies on my website within their free demo versions. Use this opportunity to learn the peculiarities of each game and to try your luck before betting real money.
- Be careful with welcome bonuses. While most of the online casinos in Australia allow to use their bonuses on pokies, most of those bonuses are far from being lucrative. Always check the WR and make sure it’s not higher than 35x.
- Play in safe Australian online casinos only. There is no better winning strategy than making your bets in a licensed and secure online casino where you won’t have any problems cashing out your money.
Unusual online pokies in Australia and their unique features
Modern online casinos always try to diversify the gambling experience of their customers. That is why modern pokies receive a lot of exciting and unique features. Let us observe the most popular of them:
✅ Wild Symbol — plays the role of a jocker in pokies bringing you extra chances for winnings since it can transform to any symbol that completes your payline.
✅ Transforming Wilds — brings even more jockers to your lines and increases your winning chances subsequently. Different pokies have various terms to activate transforming wilds, but all of them make your gambling process unique.
✅ Expanding Wilds — additional opportunity to transform common symbols and extra free spins in some circumstances.
✅ Sticky Wilds — your wild symbols have the ability to stand still for more than one spin and give you additional chances for better trigger results.
✅ Moving Wilds — your wild symbols will remain available for more than one spin, but they will also move towards a specific direction before they leave their lines.
✅ Bonus Rounds — additional opportunities for respins and multiple winnings which you can get as a result of the bonus round.
✅ Unusual Pokies Structure — you will get much more than traditional 3 to 5 reels to play with. There are numerous variations of unusual structures. For example, you may have additional symbols within one cell or up to 3125 paylines opened during your play.
✅ Tetris Pokies — the type of pokies where your winning lines disappear to bring new symbols to the reels and provide you with extra winnings.
Hold Your Horses from Novoline is a great example of a classic slot enhanced by a beautiful idea of its developers. These pokies have traditional five reels, but some slots have doubled images. These symbols do not influence paylines but multiply your winnings.
Blacklist of Online Casinos
Unfortunately, there is still a chance to meet a fraud online casino. Such gambling houses use pirated pokies to manipulate RTP rates and often leave no opportunity for a win to a gambler.
However, you can always check any online casino by searching its name on my blacklist. I regularly update my blacklist to provide you with essential information about trustworthy and fraud online casinos. It is strongly recommended to check my blacklist before depositing money on any online casino.
Online pokies are fun to play and can bring you decent winnings if you play on a trustworthy gambling house. Use the advantages of my gambling expertise: search for online casinos and games in my lists, play free demos on my website to enhance your skills, and check my blacklist to avoid any troublesome gambling experience